Important Update on Access to Remittances for Professional Providers
Friday, November 6, 2015
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield ("Anthem") has been made aware that some professional providers have recently experienced difficulties accessing their remittances online through the Availity web portal. In addition, some professional providers have asked why they are no longer receiving paper remittances. This communication addresses both of these issues, including when and how they will be resolved.
1. Accessing Paper Remittances through the Availity Web Portal:
As of October 10, 2015, Anthem implemented an update to the Availity web portal. The update inadvertently restricted provider access to only group level remittances. Individual provider remittances, related to claims adjudicated at the individual provider level, were no longer accessible.
How will Anthem resolve this issue?
Anthem has been actively working on a solution to reinstate access to individual provider level remittances. On November 7, 2015, a system update will be implemented to the Availity Web Portal to allow providers the ability to select their Anthem individual provider number to again access their individual provider remittances.
2. Suppression of Paper Remittances for Providers Registered for 835/Electronic Remittance Advices:
As of October 1, 2015, Anthem suppressed paper remittances for all providers who registered for 835/Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA) in accordance with a Federal Administrative Simplification Mandate.
Can providers registered for 835/Electronic Remittance Advices elect to turn paper remits back on?
Yes, providers may elect to turn paper remittances back on, in addition to retaining their access to the 835/Electronic Remittance Advices, by taking the steps below. Note that turning on paper remits will turn this functionality on for all business.
- Go to www.anthem.com/edi.
- From the main landing page select Register and then Manage Suppression (Manage suppression (turn off) of your paper remittance vouchers here), which will link to the form that allows paper remits to be turned back on.
- It will take approximately 1-2 remittance cycles to begin receiving paper remittances after submitting the completed form. In the meantime a provider can obtain a copy of their paper remits by either logging into availity.com or by contacting the Anthem Provider Call Center at 1-800-922-3242.
How can a provider obtain a copy of their paper remit through the Availity Web Portal?
To access paper remits through the Availity Web Portal providers should take the steps below:
- Log into Availity at availity.com (register for Availity if not already registered).
- Select My Payer Portals from the left navigation bar, and then select Anthem Provider Portal.
- Select "I Agree" to link out to AOPS. You are now logged directly into the AOPS Home page.
- From the AOPS Home page select Remittances – Institutional / Professional.
- Enter the search criteria for the remit.
Any providers unable to access their paper remittances through the Availity Web Portal may request copies of their remittances by contacting the Anthem Provider Call Center at 1-800-922-3242.